Why Should I Take Nutritional Supplements?
People often ask us, "Why Should I Take Nutritional Supplements?"
The main reasons that you should take nutritional supplements every day is:
- To maintain nutritional sufficiency in your body.
- To provide the essential nutrients that are lacking in your diet.
- To replace the nutrients that your body is supposed to be able to manufacture but is unable to due to compromised biochemistry caused by health conditions.
- To provide the nutritional building blocks your body requires on an ongoing basis for the repair and maintenance of the structure and function of body tissues.
- To provide natural support to tissues, glands, organs, and body systems involved with health conditions.
- To provide specific nutrients which are in greater demand by your body to cope with the stress of living in modern society.
- To provide protection from, and assisting your body cope with the stress of exposure to environmental chemicals, metals, and toxins.
- To reduce your risk for health conditions in the future.
Regarding nutritional supplement formulas, you should know:
- Who created the formula? Doctors, biochemists or qualified health care professionals?
- Are they made with high quality ingredients?
- Are the supplements easily digested?
- Has the product been tested or used in clinical practice? Does the supplement have a history of proven effectiveness?
- Does the manufacturer have clinical, university or doubleblind studies?
- Does the manufacturer have any patented ingredients or ‘delivery systems’ that prove increased bioavailability or effectiveness?
- Does the product come with a complete guarantee that what is listed on the label is actually in each capsule?
- Does the product come with a complete guarantee of “full potency” for the shelf life of the product?
When you walk into a health food store or any retail outlet where nutritional supplements are sold, are you:
- Overwhelmed by all of the choices?
- Not sure who to turn to for advice to choose the correct nutritional product?
- Not sure if the product is a ‘good deal’ for the money it costs?
- Convinced that nutrition is too complicated to understand?
by Gregory Pouls, D.C., F.I.C.N., & Maile Pouls, Ph.D.